Cycling Amigos - South America - Cycling and Exploring

[En Español] No set plans just a bicycle, a starting point & the rest we would see how it pans out. This has been our philosophy from the start & now over 10,000km later we've cycled through Ecuador -> Peru -> Chile -> Argentina -> Uruguay & Paraguay along the coastline in between exploring the Peruvian Andes & Bolivia by bus, foot and hired bike. Here you can watch our contiguous cycle journey unfold..
LOVE APPEAL
While Valentine's Day 2010 has come and gone we would still like to draw your attention to the great work of LOVE Trust and keep showing some love as the posts about the final stages of our journey are published here. We would also like to say a big thank you to those who have already assisted by spreading the word, making donations or offering to help in some way. Read more...

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

EXPLORING: 3:30am Rio Airport


With minimal sleep I was woken at 2am by the hostel manager, Raphael, as my taxi to the airport had arrived. To my suprise the driver was not patiently waiting in his taxi but rather at the local 'offlicense' chugging a quick beer between customers.

Once I had squeezed my bike into the back seat we sped off to to the airport. The driver kindly rolled all the windows down so that I didn't gag on the smell of alcohol along the way. However, I did get to enjoy the aroma of the favelas as we shot by them bouncing along the uneven yet impressive highway braking only momentarily to avoid the attention of the traffic police dotted along the way.

Fortunately we had most of the 3 to 4 lane highway to ourselves so that we could safely corner the bends without having to touch the brake - I just had to keep telling myself its all ok people have been doing this in Joburg for years and lived to tell the tail.

As dramatic as the ride sounded it was all good as I arrived at the airport in record time having had a good one last view of the city by night and now so pumped full of adrenalin I had almost forgotten it was 3am in the morning.

Bike, bag and I have all checked in and are now on our way to Sao Paulo. Mark will be catching the bus in the morning and meeting me there. We have one night there and then we head to Ecuador!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like whatever airport one lands up in - there is bilding work going on.

    ReplyDelete